Why You Should Never Delay Dental TreatmentPublished 11/19/2014
According to the American Dental Association, tooth decay is the most chronic disease in children today. The statistic is now up to 50 percent of children in the US. To ensure your child maintains good oral health, schedule regular exams and cleanings with your family dentist. More importantly, make sure to follow through with further treatment recommended by your dentist. Here is why:
Poor oral health affects more than just your child’s teeth. Besides pain and discomfort, studies have shown that poor oral health can also affect children’s development in the following areas:
- Development of primary teeth
- Proper chewing and nutrition
- Development of speech
- Self-esteem and confidence
- Attendance and performance in school
Regular visits to your family dentist ensure that dental issues are detected and treated before becoming more severe. Prompt treatment is key in avoiding:
- Severe pain
- Chronic tooth decay
- AND ultimately higher treatment costs
Over time, lack of proper oral care can affect other areas of the body. Studies have linked poor oral health in adults to diseases such as weakened immune system, diabetes, heart disease, lung disease and even cancer. How does this happen? Poor oral hygiene allows bacteria to build up on teeth, which can make the gums prone to infection. Infection, left untreated, makes the rest of the body susceptible to disease.
“The American Dental Association recommends that dental visits begin no later than a child’s first birthday to establish a “dental home.” Dentists can provide guidance to children and parents, deliver preventive oral health services, and diagnose and treat dental disease in its earliest stages. This ongoing dental care will help both children and adults maintain optimal oral health throughout their lifetimes.” https://www.ada.org/en/about-the-ada/dentists-doctors-of-oral-health)
Happy Smiles Dentists are MS Licensed General Dentists
- There are currently no posts made in 2017/2018, please check back later!
- Dec. 2014 - Maximize Your Dental Benefits Before December 31st!
- Nov. 2014 - Why You Should Never Delay Dental Treatment
- Oct. 2014 - Teeth-Friendly Halloween Ideas
- Sept. 2014 - Are You Afraid of the Family Dentist?
- Aug. 2014 - Is Your Child Missing School Due To Dental Issues?
- July 2014 - Preventing & Treating Tooth Grinding (Bruxism)
- June 2014 - Summertime Snacks That Brighten Your Smile
- May 2014 - Health Problems Tied To Gum Disease
- Apr. 2014 - About Dental Sedation & Tips
- Mar. 2014 - What Parents Should Know About Fluoride
- Feb. 2014 - Children's Dental Health Month
- Dec. 2013 - 7 New Year’s Resolutions For A Healthier Smile
- Nov. 2013 - Use Your Dental Insurance Before The New Year
- Oct. 2013 - Halloween Tips For Treats
- Sept. 2013 - Baby Tooth Decay: It's Possible & Preventable
- Aug. 2013 - Help Your Child Overcome Fear Of Dentists
- July 2013 - Dental Sealants: What Parents Should Know
- June 2013 - Toddler Teeth Brushing: 6 Fun Tips!
- May 2013 - Greetings From Happy Smiles